Call us to Review Construction Guidelines for Your Project
Speak to Engineering – 931-363-2522
PES needs to be contacted early in your planning process for any new construction. Whether you are planning to build a new home or an entire subdivision- and even if you are undertaking a major remodel to an existing home, PES will need to review your plans to help you avoid any extra construction costs.
Commercial building project managers will need to meet with the PES engineering team as soon as you have your basic plans. PES will assist you in insuring that you have met building requirements.
For new construction, we will work with you to assure that we are able to supply electricity to your site during construction. Generally, the earlier in the process you meet with us, the more helpful we can be in helping you avoid mis-steps in new construction.
In general terms, PES Energize shall provide electrical service for new construction subject to the following conditions:
- The standard service furnished by PES for all classes of customers shall be single-phase, 60 hertz alternating at a nominal voltage of 120/240 volts. At the discretion of PES, single-phase service at a nominal voltage of 120/208 volts may be supplied.
- Three-phase, 60 hertz alternating current may be furnished by PES where sufficient capacity in existing facilities is available.
- PES has an upfront design and staking fee of $200. Aid to construction charges may also apply for new installations and upgrades to service, depending on service size and distance from PES facilities.These charges are based on PES operating policy 2-26.
- Where multiple delivery points to a single customer are combined into a single metering point at the request of the customer, the customer shall either purchase and operate all facilities beyond the metering point or pay to PES a monthly equipment rental charge based upon the cost of the installed plant beyond the metering point.
Each customer requesting electric service at a facility requiring a new overhead or underground installation shall receive an initial construction credit based on the facility’s class of service. The customer will be responsible for all calculated charges exceeding the amount of the construction credit. Also, the customer will be responsible for furnishing and installing an approved meter base and point of connection according to NESC, NEC and PES guidelines.The per-class credit will be recalculated from time-to-time based on PES’ latest analysis of the average investment in distribution line and service installation per customer for each rate class.
Current credits are listed below:
- Residential Service – $2,000
- Commercial Service < than 15,000kWh and/or 50kW per month – $2,000
- Commercial Service between 50kW and 249kW – $20,000
- Commercial Service over 250kW – Refer to Power Contract
Each customer requesting an upgrade to an existing electric service (including increase the size of the electrical service, replacing an aerial service with an underground installation or moving from a single phase service to a three phase service) will be required to pay 50% of the calculated charges assessed by PES.
The customer will be responsible for all work necessary past PES’ point of connection.
Furthermore, if electing to install underground service, the customer is responsible for all trenching, conduit and concrete work needed for the underground installation.
Upgrade fees for Commercial customers with usage over 250kW will be negotiated separately and may be included in the customer’s power contract.
Call 811 Before you Dig
It's Free! It's Easy! It's the Law!
Find out where underground utility lines are buried BEFORE you dig! Anyone planning to dig in Tennessee MUST call 811 BEFORE your work begins. You will need to provide information about the work site when you call 811.
PES reminds everyone that whether your project is a small landscaping update, a large renovation or a new construction project, one of the worst mistakes is not identifying exactly where lines are buried on the property!
There may be more buried than you realize. Avoid the costly and potentially dangerous mistakes associated with accidentally unearthing your underground power, gas, cable, phone and water lines. You may also have irrigation water lines or even long buried electrical fencing conduits. 811 can help you locate these lines and avoid cutting through them or accidentally unearthing them.